Monday, November 26, 2012

God, Take Me Instead!!!! : My Dog Died

So you know how in my last post I said that Harley had to take a trip to the vet but that it was okay he'd be okay?  I guess he's okay in that he's in a doggie heaven, but not thaaat okay because he died.  UGGGGHHHH.  I can't even stand much I loved that little dog.  When we took him that night the vet, who we love, told us he had bladder stones and he'd need emergency surgery to remove them right away, and that after recovery he'd be just fine.  But it turned out that when the doctor started the surgery, he realized that the reason the x-ray he'd taken of the stones was blurry (he'd had to really enhance it and up contrast and all that stuff when he showed us the night before) was because there was cancer covering about 3/4 of the inside of Harley's bladder.  He called my parents to let them know and recommended that since Harley was already sedated, they let him go.  Treatment was just too risky and it would be too painful.  I really miss him- a few times in the last week I've caught myself being excited to see him when I went to my parents', or when I was there glancing at our other dog Penny and thinking it was Harley for a quick, sad second.  I do definitely take comfort in the fact that I don't think he was in much pain- there were a few things that seemed off but even on the last day, when we took him to the vet, I was playing with him and he was snorting and flailing around and wagging his tail and generally going nuts the way he always would.  I'm grateful that we stopped it before anything really started.

As is customary, I made a short slideshow of pictures of him set to a karaoke version of "You're Simply the Best" by Tina Turner.  As is also customary, I didn't know how to save or send it so I had to just take a video of it.  Enjoy this one on Harley.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Kristen. I'm your new follower from Brazil (Rio). I've been searching for nice sites where I could read interesting and touching things and also have the possibility to practice my English.
    I also Have a small blog on poems. It'd be great to have you there although I don't know if you understand portuguese,if you do...
    Bye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mariani! What a cool way to get more familiar with english. I do not understand Portuguese unfortunately, but maybe your blog can help me start :) thanks again!

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry :(. It's absolutely horrible when a pet dies, they become part of your family. My pet rat just passed away not too long ago. They only live two years but it really upset me. I couldn't imagine a dog you've had for a long time dying. :(

    -Sabrina
    http://thelittleowlshop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I didn't see this comment sooner...I'm so sorry about your rat. Even if you know going into it that having a pet doesn't mean forever, it doesn't make it any easier when the end comes. Thank you for the sweet sympathy :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry! I've had rats and guinea pigs dying and it's always been really hard. I have two cats now, and I can't imagine what I'll feel when it's their time.

    ReplyDelete